Saturday, November 23, 2013

Blog Post # 8 - Concept I Learned in this Course


A concept that I learned in class that will be very useful is the SAMR Model. Four weeks ago and before this course started, I gave my two conversation classes a group presentation project as their final assignment . They must work with a partner - technology is optional - and present something that was inspired from the course. (With the exception of noraebang-style performances of English language songs, it's an open field regarding what they can do and how they choose to present it). Each student was also given a marking rubric the day the assignment was handed out. My hope is that they will be as creative as possible with their final presentation projects.

Now imagine if I were to put this same assignment into the SAMR model directly. Students could choose from a variety of media: use their smartphones (and boy do they LOVE their smartphones!); create a power point with embedded videos of their own work; do a screen cast or an audio cast, etc. I could extend the group dynamic from two to four people, which would increase the collaborative aspect even further, and make my assessments with large classes of 40-plus students run more smoothly!


This means I could be using the SAMR Model numbers 2 and 3 to augment the student learning experience, but also to transform it by allowing students to modify and re-interpret key learning concepts. It's a fact that my students' knowledge of media exceeds my own, so I think I should encourage them to find ways they can express themselves in the English language through media they enjoy using. For example: using certain kinds of tech would give my students the opportunity to share their work in class, receive feedback and encouragement, and provide them with greater accountability for their work because of the inherent nature of technology and its wider audience.  





2 comments:

  1. Great job putting some of the concepts from class into action! I'm sure your students will learn a lot from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve! I'm looking forward to implementing some of these ideas into my spring semester teaching curriculum.

      Delete